Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Electric Motor

My Electric Motor Project


Making The Base Coil

To create the base coil, i used 14 gauge single strand wire. I wrapped the wire 400 times around two framing brackets that i bolted together. After wrapping i connected both sides of the wire to the battery and test to see if it was a magnet and it worked. 




Creating the Armature

I used a welding rod, 2 nails, and 24 gauge magnet wire to create my armature. I taped the 2 nails together and wrapped them with the magnet wire to create a magnet. The wire from the nails runs down the welding rod to the commutator.




The Commutator and Brushes

I used a piece of cork along with two pieces of copper to conduct the electricity to the magnet wire. I used stranded wire to create my brushes, so that there were multiple connections to the copper on the cork. 



Issue I Faced


The major issue that i faced while creating the electric motor was the commutator. i used heavy duty tin foil to conduct the electricity to the magnet wire and found that it did not work well. I then decided to us pieced of copper, which conducted the electricity to the magnet wire much better and allowed it to spin. 








No comments:

Post a Comment